Blog Image

Wombat Creek Tramways

Wombat Creek

Wombat Creek is a H0 (1:87) scale model of a fictional town situated somewhere in the Victorian Goldfields, Australia.

The time is 1963. Geelong wins the VFL Championship against Hawthorn (109– 60). John F. Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas. ValentinaTeresjkova is the first woman in Space. The men behind The Great Train Robbery get £2.6 million from a Royal Mail train heading from Glasgow to London.

The town consists of several buildings. The “Wombat Creek Bank and Gold Exchange” is a prominent building in the town centre. You will also find several other commercial buildings; among them the daily newspaper“W.C. Chronicle”(colloquial known as the "Toilet Paper") and “Wombat Creek Brewing Company” (Famous for the “Wombat Bitter”). “The Big Nugget Gold Mine” is situated at the Western outskirts of town near the small Chinatown. The War Memorial is in a small park along East Street.


The town’s mayor Alfred Campbell together with his son David Campbell owns several businesses, including the bank, the pub and the newspaper. AC/DC basically run the town and make most decisions on behalf of the rest of Wombat Creek’s residents, who, on the other hand, are too busy with their own businesses.


The mayor’s latest initiative is Wombat Creek Tramways. Wombat Creek doesn’t really need a tram system, but AC reckons tramways will improve the town’s reputation. Partly because of limited funds the tramways' construction and rolling stock depend heavily on second-hand requirements from other Australian and overseas tramways.

Slow progress

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Thu, June 13, 2019 19:32:35

The
photo shows the slow progress on the fibro houses. The walls have
been painted in colours close to the ones in the add. The green is a
little darker, though. The window frames are cut from a white 0.4 mm
styrene sheet.

(Large photo)



Two new houses in East Street

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Thu, May 30, 2019 18:05:53

Two
new houses are been constructed along the East Street. The are
designed as ‘fibro-houses’, which later will infamously known for the
use of asbestos cement as a wall material. I have adapted the history
behind the designs from the following website:
http://architecturebulletin.com.au/autumn-2015/a-home-for-every-taste-the-nsw-small-homes-service/

The
Small Homes Service was instigated in Victoria by Robin Boyd and The
Age newspaper in 1947 and later introduced in NSW. The Sydney Morning
Herald and Home Beautiful lobbied to establish a service along
similar lines to that established in Victoria. In New South Wales
building costs had doubled between 1939 and 1946 and building
materials were very hard to get. There was up to a two-year wait for
bricks in some areas with no brickworks.

In
September 1952, designs from the Victorian service were published in
the Sun Herald. The aim was to raise the standard of home design.
Designs were in brick (S/B), brick veneer (S/BV) and timber (S/T).
The total number of designs in September 1956 was about 40.

It
was among the timber house series that the more modern designs could
be found. Despite considerable effort by Bunning to promote modern
architecture the public seemed to prefer the more conservative
designs.

While
the New South Wales service overall may not have been viewed as a
success, the regular publishing of designs had an impact. The
combined living-dining area ‒ initially the result of the need, in
the late forties and early fifties, to plan houses in a compact
manner to meet official size restrictions ‒ became widely accepted.
Living areas opened onto paved terraces. Designs contributed to the
idea of informal living for which Australia is now known
internationally.

The
designs of the two houses in Wombat Creek are S/T 632 and S/T 663. I
found the designs on a website from
https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/post-war-sydney-home-plans-1945-1959
.
The picture shows an original advertisement from 1956. The designs
may be compact but they still take up a fair part of the to ‘blocks
of land’ next the tramway depot.

Instead
of using the infamous fibre-cement ‘Durabestos’ I will use cardboard
as the main building material. I will try to keep to the colour
scheme as seen in the advertisement. So far the walls have been cut
and glued together. Next steps are to glue thin strips of paper over
the ‘gaps’ along the walls and to apply some coats of paints.

(Large photo)



The Depot Starter on his way to update the run-in board

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Thu, May 16, 2019 17:42:55

The tracks or roads in the
depot are assigned a road number. The depot in Wombat Creek has five
roads, numbered from 1 to 5. 1 to 3 is in the main depot, 4 and 5 are
assigned to the tracks next to and in the old depot.

The run-in board is used
by the Depot Starter – who is responsible for managing tram
operations at the depot – to show arriving crews which road to
berth their tram on, by writing the tram number under the appropriate
road number. If a tram number didn’t appear on the run-in board, the
driver would stop on the entry track, and go into the Depot Starter’s
office and ask where to berth the tram.

This is important, as
different roads have different purposes. Only roads 1 and 3 have
maintenance pits, where the pit-man can perform basic maintenance
such as adjusting brakes. The Depot Starter will ensure trams needing
maintenance are place on run-in on road 1 or 3. The run-in board is
also a key tool used by the Depot Starter to position trams ready for
next day’s operations.

The run-in board is
modelled from the board from the Hawthorn Depot, Melbourne. Today the
depot houses around 20 vintage trams and is managed by the Melbourne
Tram Museum. The Wombat Creek run-in board only has tram numbers for
roads 1, 2, and 3 since it doesn’t really make sense to list trams
for roads 4 and 5, which are approached through a different set of
points.

(Large photo)



W.C. Chronicle No. 4

W.C. Chronicle Posted on Sat, May 04, 2019 17:51:42

The Seekers at the Mug Punter Hotel.

Click on the link and read the article:



Open for business

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Sat, May 04, 2019 13:25:43

The
‘Mug Punter Hotel’ next to the entrance to the Racecourse is now open
for business. Only a few details are missing (e.g. steps near the
doors). The building itself is modelled after a small hotel/pub in
the“Flagstaff
Hill Maritime Museum and Village”, Warrnambool. Because the
original hotel is quite small the model has been extended with an
extra set of windows to the left and right of the main entrance. The
back of the hotel is not modelled after the one in Warrnambool but
designed to fit the space on the lay-out.

(Large photo)

The
model is made out of cardboard covered with ‘Semi rough cut grit/sand
stone’ from Metcalfe. The tiles on the roof is also from Metcalfe.
Windows are cut from thin plastic sheet. The signs and the banner are
made in Photoshop and printed on 300 gr. paper.

(Large photo)

The
lay-out of ‘Wombat Creek Tramways’ is set in year 1963 – the year
the Seekers produced their first album ‘Introducing
the Seekers’, so tonight’s concert is really a scoop for the ‘Mug
Punter’. The audience is quite big so some have gone to the veranda
for some fresh air – even with the first floor windows all open.



The tram depot takes shape

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Thu, April 18, 2019 15:27:24

As mentioned in a previous
blog the tram depot is coming along. The whole area has been fenced
off. The tramway logo will be fitted into the ‘squares’ in the brick
wall. The pavers in the front of the photo is for the Depot Starter,
so he doesn’t get wet feet going down to change the numbers of the
run-in-board (still to be erected).

(Large photo)

The ‘birds-eye view’ show
the whole layout as of April 2019. The two white areas next to the
depot are set aside for two fibro houses. The white area behind the
tram will be a small park with a bandstand. The photo clearly shows
the missing concrete cover between the rails of the tram tracks.


(Large photo)



The Mayor has moved into the Town Hall

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Sun, April 07, 2019 13:16:27

Life goes on in Wombat
Creek. The residents are mainly busy with their own businesses but
thanks to Mayor Alfred Campbell a lot of constructions take place at
the time of writing. Two blocks of land next to the tram depot have
been developed for the construction of two Fibro houses (!).

The tram depot itself is
undergoing major work mainly at ground level. The whole outdoor area
has been covered in cobblestones and grass and the wooden floor of
the main shed has been put in place. Still the area has to be fenced to keep
the public off the grounds.

The mayor himself is
indeed very pleased to move into the town hall at Victoria Square.
The building is a plastic kit from Faller and after the German
inscription on the front has been removed, it resembles the old Shire
Hall in Warragul quite a bit. The public toilet at the square will
later be relocated and replaced with a statue of Queen Victoria.

(Large photo)



Finally back from lunch

Text & photos from the layout Posted on Wed, February 27, 2019 16:35:43

(Large photo)

A photo from April 30 2018 shows the scaffolding aorund the big logo on one of the walls of the Brewery claiming the painters were off for lunch. After 10 months they are finally back at work. Well, two of the painters are back working. The other two seem to be less busy. Perhaps they haven’t finished their beers.



« PreviousNext »